Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The poet recieves kick-butt advice

I am currently enrolled in a creative class in my high school. The other day I got into a discussion with a fellow writer. He gave me some of the best writing advice I have ever received, and I feel it my duty to share it with my loyal readers (haha). Who knew wise words would come from the lips of a high school boy?
  1. Plan out what you write- This wise bit of wisdom is one that grates upon my mind. I feel as though the writer should sit down, start pumping out words, and let the plot develop as it may. In reality this doesn't work. I know that. I know that, and I hate that. My young friend stressed the importance of this to me. Planning ahead is crucial. There is no point in writing a story if you have no climax in mind.
  2. Learn to love what you write- I am a butcher. I often find myself dissatisfied with my work. I have a horrible habit of butchering the first draft and starting over entirely. This can be such a waste of time and leads me no where. Build upon the first draft, don't waste time starting another. Write it, love it. Somebody has to. Learn to love what you write!
Thank you, dear friend.

Any wonderful advice to share?

1 comment:

cobear said...

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments. Good luck with your writing, I hope my advice will be usefull.